Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Sacrificial voting.

Lately I’ve been thinking of the best way to economise on my single vote- yes, very Anthony Downs of me. Now, rather than voting for the party that best matches my economic beliefs and general ideology, I think at the next State election, I’ll be voting Green (not simply a step in the other direction, but a fucking Neil Armstrong leap).

Why’s this you ask? How can a free market, pro-business fan, and individualist vote for the Greens?

Easy. The brilliant thing about the federal system of government is the ability to use States (or territories) for experimenting, in a controlled, laboratory-like environment. I’m happy to sacrifice my vote to give the Greens power in this State, and then laugh my arse off when they finally show Australia the effects of their policies.

This sacrificial form of voting will, if our other states and territories take note, in the long-term reduce the Green’s support base- especially among those who don’t like a 70%+ tax rate, and moralists who will not fund gays, trans-gender folk, and give uni students a completely free ride.

I also recognise the constitutional limits, mind you. For the most part, however, I’ll be content with seeing the available domestic policies and scary over-taxation implemented by Peg Putt and her flock of dodos, and thus recognition by do-gooders that voting Green is not going to help anybody.

No comments: