Thursday, January 26, 2006

Australia Day- Our Home is Girt by a Dodo Infested Sea.

Given the fact that it’s Australia Day, and drinking has made me lazy, I thought I would post what some of the bloggers out there are saying:

There are lots of activities going on around the country today to celebrate the beginning of the slaughter of the Aboriginal people who once lived here happily and in harmony with the land and with nature. Our forefathers sure put a stop to that idyllic lifestyle and stamped on them the British way.

Here.

Yes, of course, all Australians are today celebrating the conflict (much more complex than a ‘simple slaughter’) between white settlers and the native inhabitants, and other effects involved in settling a nation during an era of colonisation, rather than the Australian nation and its people. I’ll label that women a dodo.


Re-enactments of Phillip's landing continued to be an accepted part of Australia Day ceremonies around the country and it wasn't until the Bicentennial in 1988 that the New South Wales government refused to condone a re-enactment as part of their official proceedings.

Here.

Pelican Dreaming's Australia Day post has an assortment of such facts.


As a marking of this day known to others as "Australia Day" I have decided to reproduce a poem and words to a song that represent what this day means to me and will continue to do so until our leaders recognise the way this land was originally settled and its problems that our PM says "Weren't our fault". We need to apologise to the original peoples for our treatment of them in the begining and continuing till this very day. […] The first words reproduced here are from a song by our Indigenous singer/songwriter Archie Roach.

Here

Alison focuses on the stolen generation (ignoring a *certain* federal court ruling). She labels anyone who dare question the consensus that a generation of Aboriginals were ‘stolen’ from their always loving and thoughtful parents- as opposed to rescued from often-abusive families- as “right wing apologists”. Another dodo for Australia Day.


Australia Day is a national public holiday. For some years the holiday was held on the closest Monday, to provide a long weekend. It is now held on the actual anniversary, however should this happen to fall on a weekend, a public holiday is still held on the following Monday.

Here

A lesbian blogger. Can you go wrong?


My husband and I are always celebrating our wedding aniversaries on Australia Day. I was on my honeymoon on my 21st birthday. My husband had arrived in this country only 18 months earlier. We both survived the second world war as children, but then, while still a teenager, he went on to fight for his people's survival in Israel's War of Independence, together with his family. All the Arab armies together could not overrun the tiny newly declared State but as soon as those armies were defeated by the rag-tag army of untrained soldiers, mostly survivors of death camps,- my husband decided to see the world and got stuck with me in Oz! 48 years later we still call marvellous Australia home,- but we also love our spiritual homeland of Israel.
HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY TO US ALL! […]Remember: January 27th is the UN-World Holocaust Memorial Day!

Here

I have to confess, not much on Australia Day or Australia itself, but a refreshing post anyway, and a reminder of what Israel and its nation of fighters has been put through, and continue to be put through by the feral-left. And, ashamedly, I have to admit I did not know tomorrow is the UN Holocaust Memorial Day. Cheers to Miriam and her blog.


25 years ago I was preparing to pack up and settle in beautiful Tasmania, Australia's island idyll. Cruel realities of life killed that particular dream; a dream that I return to from time to time with fond nostalgic memories of delight as I remember moments of joy I spent there in earlier years with my great Australian chums Rod and Annabelle [… Australia] I raise my bubbling glass to you!

Here

This one I liked simply because beautiful Tassie gets a mention (as we do below, actually).


The term "Un-Australian" has become one of the most overused adjectives of the last twelve months, and will probably continue its rise to prominance throughout 2006 […] "I think associating with a terrorist organisation demonstrates that you are un-Australian" Tasmanian MP Michael Ferguson.

Here

If anything is un-Australian, I think its fair to say it's associating with terrorists. Dodo. At least readers get a “Happy Australia Day” at the end.


Make sure you get a copy of a certain lamb ad from The Asylum, and give thanks to Tiberius for putting the download back up (just for this special day). Now use his bandwidth!

Happy Australia Day! Remember our past, as well as celebrate what makes Australia a brilliant country and what will get us through the difficult years that are no doubt ahead- our ability to survive and to struggle on in a world of shit and dodos.

No comments: